Why is it Important to Have Physical Photos And Albums?
Why do photos make us happy?. According to HuffPost.com, some of the reasons photographs boost our happiness:
- Photos help us recall good times and special moments from our past.
- Photography allows us to express our creativity.
- Photos enable us to record the precious moments in our lives that would otherwise be easily forgotten.
These examples barely scratch the surface on the role photography has come to play in our lives. Truth is in this digital era of smartphones and social media it’s never been easier to take photos. In our post on “How to take better photos,” we mentioned the estimated number of pictures people will take in 2020. (Hint: it’s a mind-boggling figure!)You can read that post here.
Still, you can’t help but feel that the more pictures people take, the less satisfying it is. I would argue this is because people are losing touch on why they take photos in the first place. Think about it, how many times have you taken time to look back at your favorite pictures this year? Probably very few or not at all.
In this article, I will share why I think physical photos and albums anchor us to happy memories and are important to our children’s development.
Digital storage poses risks
Digital files allow for easy access, sharing, and editing. However, they are not without their risks.
- Digital photos get buried in countless folders. Over the years, most people accumulate thousands of photos on their phones, computer hard drives, and cloud storage. At one point, it may become overwhelming to keep track of everything. Imagine trying to find one photo in the midst of 10,000 images! That’s where photo albums come in handy. You simply take your most favorite photos of you and your family and print them or design your favorites in an album. That way when you want to reminisce on past moments with your family, you won’t have to go digging through hundreds of photo folders to view them on your computer screen.
- Digital photo loss is real. Whether it’s a computer virus attack, accidental file deletion, failing hard drive, most of us have had an experience of losing a digital photo or hundreds. Even cloud storage has its issues like data privacy and lack of back-up services. With all these potential risks it’s prudent to have your most precious memories secured in a physical format. Also, there is no certainty your favorite social media platforms will last forever. Social media platforms will come and go as the world as people change and adapt.
Physical photo books make great gifts
Think birthdays, anniversaries, Mother’s Day, Christmas, Hanukkah gifts. Maybe you want to showcase all the highlights from a past year or a favorite vacation. Parents and grandparents will love seeing how much your little ones have grown, and they will love seeing themselves in print. You can’t go wrong with a custom, professional photo album.
What makes a photo album like family yearbooks such a great gift idea?
- It’s a thoughtful gift that is unique to the recipient.
- It’s the gift of happy memories and reminders of treasured moments.
- It will stand the test of time and only become valuable with time.
Physical photos narrate stories better.
Swiping through pictures on a phone screen or clicking through a computer file does not compare to the joy of going through a physical album. With a physical photo album, you can lay your hands on and feel it as you shuffle through the pages.
A chronological photo book makes sharing your memories feel like you are reliving and allows you to tell your family’s story with highlights of your most favorite memories. Placed on a living room table, and the album is a great conversation starter with guests.
With two decades of experience in photography, I’ve seen the shift from film to digital, and it hasn’t been without its bumps. The challenge we face now is how to keep the files safe, organized, and at our fingertips. Without printed photo albums or photos, our children won’t be able to remember their own childhoods, and I don’t think that’s what any of us want. Need help getting your digital files into beautiful photo albums for your family?
We can help you create a family yearbook that you can pass down to the coming generations. Reach out to us today to get started on a gorgeous album for your family. It’s easy! Send us 10+ photos each month, and we’ll take care of the rest!